I honestly can’t remember a lot of details from the assignments this week because I was really busy and my brain is kind of overloaded.
I learned how to link Google analytics to Adwords, and that’s been running for a few days now. I haven’t found the time to check on it because of the aforementioned business, but I will probably do that this weekend. I did get to check how my keywords are doing on Adwords, though, since I got my campaign started. Some of my keywords don’t have very good quality scores, and I think it’s partially because of my landing page. I created a new add this wee, and I will probably create one or two more for that ad group that match up better with my keywords that have below average score and ad relevance.
I’m still trying to get the hang of Adwords, but I think it will be very valuable when I get it down. I’m looking forward to the next lesson and improving my site and the landing pages.
This week we talked about Google analytics. Setting it up wasn’t too complicated. Muse has a pretty easy way to do it where I just had to copy and paste the code into a section on the site building program and then re-upload it to the FTP host. Linking Analytics to Adwords is very simple, also. I still can’t get Adwords to show my quality scores for my keywords. It says that there isn’t enough information to determine a quality score, and that might be because of the bid. I changed the Max CPC manually, and I changed my daily budget and target budget, but it still wouldn’t show anything. I enabled my ads and let it run for a few days in hopes that it just needed more time to gather information. So I will check back on that today and see if it can tell me a quality score.
It’s been a lot of work this week, and been pretty confusing. Hopefully I can get all the kinks worked out quickly.
I was asked to create a set of icons with a topic of my choice. I chose to make icons that would be used in a clothing store or website to guide people to the products they are looking for. Of course, there would probably be a lot more than four icons in a real store, but for the sake of time, I decided to just do a t-shirt, a button-up shirt, a sneaker, and a pair of pants. The target audience is anybody who is shopping in the store or on the website.
As far as using specific elements of design, I used a lot of alignment in my effort to make the icons as symmetrical as possible. The shoe is obviously not symmetrical, but that is just the nature of a shoe. I made the icons very simple and used a black and white color scheme because in a store, you would not want the icons drawing attention away from the actual products.
Take a closer look at my icons below.
I finally got Adwords to work for me this week. There was some issue with the account. I guess I had two accounts and one of them wasn’t real or something. Every time I tried to log into it, it wouldn’t even bring up the login page, it just gave me an error message. I got it figured out, though. I made another Adwords account under my same Google account. Adwords is kind of tough to figure out at first. It kind of pressured me into creating an ad and making it live right away. I had to remove the first one because it wasn’t part of an ad group, and we had to make an ad group for the assignment. I had to go back and re-write the ad three or four times before I finally got it right.
It was a struggle. It wasn’t super difficult, but with very little experience, it was just a learning process. Now I have the experience so I can move onto the next learning process, and that’s what this is all about, I guess.
This week was a little less involved for me, at least for this class. I was insanely busy with other classes and I was sick, so that just resulted in a little less time put forth for me. I think I learned some good things, but I wasn’t able to use them yet due to some technological difficulties. I still haven’t had the time to try using Google Adwords on a different computer yet. So I’ll try to do that on Monday, hopefully in the morning. But just by reading some of the lesson material and my classmates’ posts on the discussion board, I feel like I was able to learn generally how it works.
I did have the opportunity to work out some kinks with my website. There’s a few pages I still want to add, but it’s working pretty much how I want it to now. All in all, it’s been a decent week. Not the best, but it definitely could have been worse.